Flower Show School Course 4
June 13-15, 2019
Horticulture and Flower Show Procedure
Instructor: David Robson
Horticulture topics: Heuchera and African Violets, and the Botanical Arts Horticulture Section
David Robson is a retired horticulture and pesticide safety specialist with the University of Illinois. A graduate of Iowa State University and University of IL, he has taught for more than 37 years. He is an NGC Flower Show School and Symposium instructor, teaching Horticulture and Flower Show Procedures. He worked on the 2017 Handbook for Flower Shows, and the NGC Horticulture Exhibiting and Judging book. He currently serves on the NGC Flower Show Schools Committee as Chairman of Horticulture and Flower Show Procedure Instructors.
Instructor: Madelyn Hucker
Design topics: Abstract Designs and the Botanical Arts Design Section
In addition to being a Master Judge and NGC Design Instructor, Madelyn is a member of her local garden club, 3 design study groups, the National Association of Floral Arrangers and World Association of Floral Artists. She stays active designing for local, state, regional and national meetings/conventions and was a participant in WAFA's first American hosted World Flower Show in Boston, 2011 and the 11th World Flower Show 2014 in Dublin, Ireland. Madelyn enjoys teaching design courses around the country and getting to know local culture and design styles. She also presents hands-on design workshops, providing tips on florist mechanics and highlighting new NGC designs. Madelyn loves making “something out of nothing” and is a strong advocate for repurposing materials. If it's discarded, artful uses can be found. She and her husband enjoy traveling, photography, gardening and scuba diving.
The following required reading list applies to all Flower Show School courses. Students should read pages as noted in Student Outlines provided by each course instructor.
- The National Gardener Magazine
- 1344 | Handbook for Flower Shows, 2017 Revised Edition (3 Ring Binder) | $25.00
- 1173 | Outlines of Period Flower Arrangement (Hannay) | $5.00
- 1341 | Horticulture Exhibiting and Judging | $30.00
- Guide to the New Petite Floral Designs Anna G. Burns
- Hortulana The 21st Century Edition (Heber) | $10.00
- Plants and Their Respective Families
- Designing by Types (Osborne) | $44.95
- Table Settings For All Seasons (Wood & Smith) | $34.95
- Plant Families for Designers Constructing Monobotanic Designs